How to Integrate a Website
TypeRoom Professional includes a few tools that make integration a breeze. Our Template Creator allows you to set up your templates using a point-and-click process, and our Content Importer allows you to import your website's existing content with ease.
- Program templates using HTML & CSS as you would normally, ensuring that you use unordered lists for menus and that each region you wish to have editable is surrounded in some block-level element (we recommend wrapping each editable area in a DIV).
If you are integrating an existing website, look over the site and decide which pages will server as overall templates for the site. Usually a site has two or three layouts which are repeated across all pages of the site. Ensure the site menus are programmed using unordered lists, and if not, update the code (you may also do this in TypeRoom after the templates have been imported).
If you would rather have us take care of the HTML & CSS programming, check out our integration services.
- Upload templates to a web accessible location. We recommend using a sub-directory of an existing server you have access to. (Ex: http://www.yoursite.com/new-templates/). If this is an existing website, you can ignore this step.
- Create new TypeRoom site by choosing Add New Site from the TypeRoom Dashboard and choosing the appropriate plan.
- Import templates by pointing TypeRoom Professional to their public-facing URL. The specifics of working with the Template Creator are covered in the video below.
- Import content using TypeRoom Professional's Content Importer.
Video: Importing a website onto TypeRoom
Each page in TypeRoom Professional is based off a template. You therefore need at least one template to start managing a site in TypeRoom. Start by looking at this walk-through which explains how TypeRoom Professional uses templates and how to set up your first templates:
Basically, almost any container (p, div, etc) can be an editable region. Because the editor was designed for content (and not for layout) we don't recommend allowing non-technical customers to update complex layouts with the editor. This is best done by making each individual part of the layout its own individual content region, or leaving it as part of a template.
If you can't visually select the element you'd like to use, make use of the element tree at the bottom of the template creation screen.
I've integrated my templates, now what?
After you've integrated your templates, you're ready to start building your site out using TypeRoom Professionals' easy-to-use website management tools. You can begin adding pages using the menu controls, or for a birds-eye view of your site, the Site Manager. You can tweak your templates using the Advanced Site Editor, and most importantly, you can begin adding content using the TypeRoom Content Editor.
Need Help with Integration?
We're here to help. Let us know if you have questions about integrating a website onto TypeRoom Professional. We can work with you to get your site integrated, or if you're interested, we can take over on the integration and turn over a fully integrated site.